The Yancey’s Why

What's Your Why?

Here is “the why” Lisa and I started down the road to foster and adopt.

We knew a couple who had fostered as well as adopted children through The CALL so we were aware of how the system worked.

This couple had a couple of boys in their care and they were up for adoption and at the time no one wanted them. We began to be convicted about the fact that we had so much to offer and were not offering it to children in need of the love that we shared.

We started the process of classes required to open our house and got the ball rolling. This process included having to be certified in CPR and first aid, this alone resulted in me being able to save someone’s life later down the road.

We were camping with what would soon become our two forever boys at Calico Rock, trout fishing with an old friend that I had worked for many years ago, That evening during supper my friend became choked on a piece of meat. I at first thought he had excused himself from the table because he was only coughing. I soon realized when a few moments later he was turning red and waving frantically for me to come and help. We had just recertified after our first year of CPR and first aid a few days prior to this trip, so the Heimlich maneuver was fresh in my mind and without even thinking I was able to dislodge the piece of meat from my friends airway and the first of many lives was changed because of our dealings with the Call.

We met the two little boys that are now my sons at church on Mother’s Day three years ago now. Our Pastor and his wife have a son and daughter in law that foster through The CALL and were visiting our church because of Mother’s Day, when they came in with these two little boys whose faces were glowing with love. I will never forget the look on the youngest ones face, then only two at the time. When they took his little hand and asked him if he wanted to go to children’s church in the back.   His foster mother knew that we had tried in the past to adopt a couple of different times and for one reason or another the process fell through, turned to my wife Lisa and whispered, “they’re up for adoption.”

It was at that moment that we felt that we had just met our new family and after a few short weeks they were in our home for visits and soon to stay.

We began the process to adopt and things were going well for all of us. For one reason or another the final adoption kept getting moved back and we couldn’t understand why.

Then one morning, at the end of the oldest son’s first week of school I awoke to the most life changing event that I have ever experienced. My wife Lisa didn’t wake up that morning, the result of a massive heart attack while we slept. There are no words to describe or try and explain how lost and devastated I was at and from that moment on.

The picture of beauty and health, never sick a day in her life. Lisa’s whole life had revolved around taking care of me and these two precious little boys.

When this happened my Father said, “what about those two little boys?” It was at that moment that I knew that I had to do whatever I could to see that they were taken care of and, if the judge would allow it, I would proceed with the adoption.

Well almost a year has passed now since that tragic morning and I am, for the first time, able to sit down and tell the story of my “Why.” I wouldn’t have ever thought that it would have turned out like this but I now have a home full of love with two little boys that now have my last name and the memory of the love given to us by the greatest Wife and Mother I and my two sons could have ever asked for.

Don’t be afraid to answer the CALL!

Mike and Lisa Yancey

More from the Crawford & Sebastian Counties blog