I’ve always told my children that trust is rarely granted. Instead it is earned. The next question they asked was “How do I earn your trust?” I told them that trust is earned with consistent behavior over time.
It is that simple and, unfortunately, there are no shortcuts.
One of the things we are serious about at The CALL is earning your trust. As an organization that depends on the generosity of people like you, we believe a sacred trust is the foundation of each financial gift you give.
One way we are consistent in our behavior over time is to be members of the Evangelical Council for Financial Accountability (ECFA). The ECFA provides financial supporters assurance that members are accountable. They examine seven areas of The CALL’s ministry:
- Doctrine – Does the Bible inform our belief and practice as an organization?
- Governance – Is there appropriate, independent board oversight?
- Financial Oversight – Are our finances audited and managed to rigorous accounting standards?
- Use of Resources and Compliance with Laws – Are management controls in place?
- Transparency – Are we active and open with our financial reporting?
- Compensation-Setting – Do we follow ECFA’s Compensation policies and recommendations?
- Stewardship of Charitable Gifts – Do we act in the best interest of our donors?
The ECFA describes their standards as simple but not simplistic. Each standard has significant implications for its members. As an ECFA member, The CALL must follow all these standards. You can review the standards in detail at ecfa.org. We encourage any organization you support to join this ECFA as well. It’s a high bar that helps you know we strive for integrity, honesty and competency in handling the dollars you give.
Here at The CALL, we want you to feel confident when giving your financial support. Being members of the ECFA is one way to build trust as we fulfill the mission of no waiting children in foster care.
Thank you for trusting us to mobilize the Church in Arkansas to love foster children with the extravagant love of Christ!
By Mike Clowers, Development Coordinator, The CALL in Pulaski County